Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence on ‘lies’ told by media, reacts to Atletico Madrid fans’ banner

Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence on 'lies' told by media, reacts to Atletico Madrid fans' banner

Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo has labelled a report claiming he’s adamant about leaving United this summer despite the interventions of Sir Alex Ferguson and Man United’s chiefs.

Ronaldo has obviously made it known he’s keen on leaving Man United this summer for a club that would participate in the Champions League next season.

Several reports have linked him with a move to Bayern Munich, PSG, Barcelona, Chelsea, and Atletico Madrid but so far, Ronaldo hasn’t reached an agreement with any club.

The 37-year-old returned to Manchester on Tuesday for the remainder of Manchester United’s ongoing pre-season, having missed United’s tour in the far East and Australia, but he arrived with his agent, Jorge Mendes.

Although his return has been viewed as a positive sign that he could stay put at Old Trafford this summer, several reports have claimed that one of the reasons he returned back to Manchester with his agent is to speed up his exit from the club.

This week, reports claimed that Cristiano Ronaldo has told Manchester United to relinquish his current deal so he could leave the club this summer as a free agent.

This speculation emerged after it was reported that Erik ten Hag has tried to convince the Portuguese forward to stay beyond this season but failed in his quest as the five-time Ballon d’Or winner still wants out.

A Ronaldo fan Instagram handle posted a rumour: “Jorge Mendes told Manchester United that Cristiano Ronaldo is adamant about leaving, but Mendes left negotiations less than positive that Ronaldo would get his move. Sir Alex Ferguson intervened. United insist Ronaldo is not for sale.”

To which Cristiano Ronaldo replied: “Impossible not to talk about me one day. Otherwise the press makes no money. You know that if you don’t lie you can’t get people’s attention. Keep going that one day you got some news right.”

Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to 'lies' made by media
Photo: Instagram

During Atletico Madrid’s pre-season friendly on Wednesday, Atletico’s fans put up a banner on the pitch that reads “CR7 NOT WELCOME”.

Another Ronaldo fan Instagram handle posted it and to which Ronaldo replied with laughing emojis.

Cristiano Ronaldo reacts to Atletico Madrid fans' banner
Photo: Instagram

Cristiano Ronaldo is unlikely to feature against Atletico Madrid on Saturday for some reason. The Man United forward was not pictured with his team-mates, who trained on Thursday ahead of their remaining two friendlies this weekend.

Ronaldo finished last season as Manchester United’s highest goalscorer with 24 goals in all competitions.